Wednesday, 25 December 2013

Christmas Cutie

I hadn't planned on making this. I've been subscribing to Ottobre for over a year now and, though I love receiving the magazines in the post and flicking through looking at the pictures, I've never sewn anything! Then Pattern Review held a holiday sewing contest, and I knew I had scraps of Christmas fabric in my stash waiting to be used, so I measured up my wriggly toddler and set to it!


Ottobre 3/2013 Designs 13 Vichy Bow sleeveless top and 14 Surprise flounce skirt
Tracing off the pattern is quite a challenge. They certainly do pack a lot of designs onto the page, and then you get to add your seam allowances. You need to read the instructions carefully to make sure you haven't missed any notches, or added seam allowances where you needn't.
This little top came together really quickly. The pointy hem and bow are quite cute.
I made the smallest size. My toddler was smaller on all the measurements except height, and I wouldn't want this to be any smaller. The red knit fabric I used is not super stretchy, but it had the minimum amount of stretch stated on the pattern. It also is quite short on her. On the model, it's a bit short, but she is wearing her skirt higher. On my daughter, there's quite a gap between skirt and top.
The little skirt was fun to make. I had just watched a lesson on Janet Pray's Craftsy class Sew Better Sew Faster about crimping to help turn the fabric under for patch pockets. This technique worked like a dream. Unfortunately, the lace I chose from stash to top the pockets was a bit heavy. In hindsight I should have trimmed the lace off the heavier edge it was attached to. Never mind.
The back of the skirt is great. I had fun deciding which fabric to put where. I'm delighted with the result, even if it did mean rethreading the overlocker between red and green for the rolled hems.
If I make this up again (in a more "normal" fabric) I'll need to be more accurate with the flounce lines, as the flounces are sewn into the side seams. On one side I needed to go back and trim away a little of the flounce (which meant threading the overlocker in green again to do the rolled hem) as I needed more space to sew the hem.

You can see from the side view how the front and back contrast so nicely. Ottobre didn't call it the "Surprise" flounce skirt for nothing!

.
 
She certainly looked very cute in her Christmas outfit today!
 
Now I need to work out how to enter it in the contest.


5 comments:

  1. How cute is that - love those ruffles.

    BTW - you won the second draw on my blog - I will be in contact when SA opens after Christmas.

    http://ontheroadtosewwear.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/wow-wow-wow-stylearc-are-amazing.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is gorgeous! Very pretty dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The outfit is adorable! I miss the cute little girly outfits I dressed DD in as a toddler... Good luck in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So adorable! Great choice for a Xmas dress!

    ReplyDelete