Fabric choice is always difficult. The music is a very sad song about being lonely, so the fabric needed to correspond with those feelings. We went looking for a murky, moody, stormy grey, but found this wonderful blue/brown tie die polyester/lycra with a floral print over the top. For the skirt I decided on navy over tie die brown chiffon. We chose plain blue nylon/lycra for the contrast strip and neckband.
Once I started cutting out, I realised that the leotard fabric was a little bit sheer, so decided to underline with the blue lycra. I "fussy cut" the leotard panels to make the most of the tie die effect.
When I assessed the fabric for stretch I noticed it didn't have much vertical stretch. Now, most people would have adjusted the pattern at that point, but I carried on, and the result was that the leotard stopped right over her bust line! Not a good look! My solution to that problem was to make the contrast fabric a "design feature" empire line band, and cut out a new top band out of the main fabric. This looked lovely until I put it on her, and the band went right over her bust rather than under it.
|Wider top band over contrast band|
And she danced beautifully.