Friday, 7 June 2013
Something for ME!!
My wardrobe is in dire need of new tops, so in between dance costumes for my daughter, I pulled out my TNT Tee pattern from J.Stern Designs. I did Jennifer Stern's Fit the Tee to a Tee course on PatternReview.com last year and got a really great fit out of this pattern. She has a very neat way of doing an FBA. This is my third version of The Tee.
For this Tee I decided to make the Vee neck variation I learned in her course, and extend the sleeves to full length for winter. I didn't quite get the sleeve length correct - more like 7/8th sleeves, but I'm happy enough.
I am really happy with my Vee neck! I took great care sewing the facing and topstitching. For the back neck I stabilized the neckline with narrow elastic, folded it over and topstitched. (Yes I possibly should have used black elastic, but you can't see the white when worn.) Then I joined the front and back yokes together and topstitched the seam down. It looks pretty neat to my eye.
I used my overlocker for all the other seams as I'm trying to become better friends with my overlocker. We have an "on again / off again" relationship. This became a problem when I made a silly mistake and beautifully overlocked the wrong side of the lower front to the yoke. It took me quite some time to unpick, being very careful not to put a hole in the fabric as it was a remnant and there was none left for a replacement panel.
I also cheated by using the flat construction technique for the sleeves (and feeling a little bit guilty whilst doing it, but also being very pleased with the results).
I like the shirt style hemline, but the curves are tricky to hem nicely, so I used Heat'n'Bond Lite tape to stick it in place. I used a double row of narrow zigzag for the hems and sleeves.
This Tee will be on high rotation this season.